Friday, July 2, 2010

Fire



Hello everyone and happy Friday! Well for today's blog I am going to review the second novel Krisin Cashore has written. Called Fire, it is a prequel to Graceling. However, you should still read them in the order of Graceling, then Fire, for clarity sake.

Characters: Fire: so called half monster/has the ability of complete mind control/works for King Nash as part of his spy ring
Archer: the best shooter in the Dells/in love with Fire/extremely careless and jealous
Prince Brigan: brother to King Nash/in charge of the King's army/the only one who respects Fire
King Nash: king of the Dells/trying to hold onto the throne/obsessed with Fire
Princess Clara and Prince Garan: twin brother and sister/the illegitimate children of King Nax/spymasters of the Dells

The Plot: Enter the world of the Dells, a land where monsters roam and humans work to keep them in check. These monsters are vicious animals. They possess a form of mind control that allows them to completely take over the mind of their prey. They also possess a terrible beauty that strikes fear and hate into all who set eyes on them. However, every once and a while there are human monsters. Half monster and half human. That is Fire. Named for her bright red hair. Fire can control the minds of all those around her. Only a select few know how to close their minds from such control. One of those is Prince Brigan. Fire meets Brigan at the house of his mother Queen Roen. Originally he hates her, due to the fact that Fire's monster father, Cansrel, killed his father King Nax. However, when Brigan sees Fire display her uncommon bravery and abilities, he enlists her help in defeating the enemies that surround the King's City. Along the way, Fire must confront her very real fears of ending up like her father and some of the darkest secrets in her heart.

What I liked: Another excellent novel from Kristin Cashore. I felt like Fire was a better story than Graceling. With more characters and a more in-depth plot, this book was much more exciting than Graceling. Also, Fire was a far more diverse character than Katsa. While Katsa was entertaining, Fire had so many layers, so many secrets. Katsa had one level; she was the misunderstood killer. Don't get me wrong, I loved Katsa. But Fire was the misunderstood monster, loving friend, brave soul... I could continue on but it would have too many spoilers. More importantly, I loved the dynamic of the four siblings who rule the King City. Nash, Brigan, Clara, and Garan represent a strong family force which I felt was severely lacking in Graceling. These siblings were intriguing, funny, and intelligent, making for a much better supporting cast than in Graceling.

What I didn't like: It's not something I didn't like it's more of a concern. I worry that Cashore is going to get stuck writing the same kind of novels. Fantasy, a girl with extraordinary abilities but is misunderstood, pursued by a man she does not love, and helped by a man she does. Both try to protect a kingdom. Do you see what I'm getting at? I mean Fire and Graceling were both great. But I think I have a legitimate concern. Cashore is too great a writer to get stuck writing the same thing over and over again. I love a powerful female character as much as the next person but I am worried that Cashore's next novel will be just the same as the last ones. But I believe Cashore's next novel is about Bitterblue, so I think it should be able to alleviate my concerns.

Overall: I will give Fire a 9 out of 10. I won't give it higher because I am very worried that Cashore's novels will become the same old story over and over again. However, I can't ignore the talent Cashore has and her ability to weave a magnificent story. I hope her next novel will have all of her talent, and just be a little different.

No comments:

Post a Comment